Kenya’s Foreign Policy rests on five interlinked pillars: Peace diplomacy pillar; Economic diplomacy pillar; Diaspora diplomacy pillar, Environment diplomacy pillar and Cultural diplomacy pillar
The Diaspora pillar aims to harness the diverse skills, knowledge, expertise and resources of Kenyans living abroad, and facilitating their integration into the national development agenda. This informs the Diaspora Pillar which seeks to harness the contribution of Kenyans living abroad through the replica implementation of the National Diaspora policy. The objectives of this pillar are to:
- Provide effective and responsive consular services;
- Facilitate Kenyans Abroad to participate in national development;
- Promote the access by Kenyans to the international labour market;
- Utilize outstanding Kenyans, and
- Tap into the skills and resources of the Kenyans Abroad for national development.
This Policy was developed in recognition of the urgent need to mainstream the Kenyan Diaspora into our national development process in line with the aspirations and goals of the Kenya Vision 2030. The Kenya Vision 2030 recognizes Diaspora contribution as a major enabler to the growth of our economy.
The Kenyan Diaspora consists of people of Kenya origin and non-resident Kenyans residing outside the country whether for employment, business, vocation, education or any other purpose. The contribution of the Diaspora in terms of skills, expertise and transfer of knowledge to Kenya is invaluable though this potential is not yet fully developed or harnessed.
The broad objective of this policy is to empower Kenyans abroad to effectively make greater contribution to the development of the country. To actualize this objective, the following strategies have been identified:
- Enhancing capacity to offer consular services,
- Reducing the high cost of money remittance,
- Developing an incentive framework for promoting Diaspora participation in national development,
- Tapping into Diaspora skills, knowledge and expertise, and
- Encouraging participation of Kenyans citizens abroad in the democratic processes in the country among others